A question about a recipe: Lemon Birthday Cake

Bd360e6e 5f90 4ec9 99a4 9e0913bdd532  062309f 1323

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "Lemon Birthday Cake" from Eric Liftin. It says:

"Separate the eggs for the frosting. Dump 4 of the yolks in the main bowl; repurpose the rest as you like. Put aside the whites (in a stainless bowl). Whisk in the 8 eggs and beat until foamy. Whisk in the cream and rum."

Would you please clarify this step, how many yolks and how many whites go in which bowl, and together or separately?

asked by Butterfingers over 7 years ago

Yes, this is confusing the way it's written. You separate 7 eggs. Then, you use 4 of those egg yolks, plus 8 more whole eggs, for the cake. Later, you use the whites of the 7 eggs for the frosting. Make a little more sense?

Eric Liftin

Thank you, Merrill. That's exactly right. I'm sure there's standard recipe protocol for such an arrangement.... Enjoy! /Eric

Butterfingers

Thank you both.