I am having friends over after work next week and I want to make bread. I would like to incorporate refrigerator time, but need help.

I have a great recipe for foccacia and am looking for ideas about how to refrigerate dough. I am interested in adjustments to make so that I can make the dough the day before but bake just before my friends arrive.

Merrill Stubbs April 16, 2011

You can just use your recipe -- after the first rise, once you've shaped the dough and put it in the pan, you can cover and refrigerate it. Take it out of the fridge and uncover it to rise again for 1 to 2 hours before your guests arrive, and then bake it off.

boulangere April 16, 2011

You may find that the texture of your final bread will be even better for having rested overnight in the fridge. That's my usual method of making it.

plevee
plevee April 16, 2011

If you are going to refrigerate the dough for more then a couple of hours, eg overnight, you should decrease the amount of yeast by half.

alisonwhite
alisonwhite April 17, 2011

Thanks everyone!