🔕 🔔

How do you clean morels?

I've tried a couple of different ways, including just plain rinsing them in cold running water, and they're still so gritty!

asked by sarah k. over 6 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Some good tips here: http://localfoods.about...

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Just learned this from the cooking expert at the new Whole foods with the link to food52! He advised me that they can have a lot of grit inside as well as in the gills(?) on the outside so soaking and draining would get all of it. He recommended putting them in a bowl of water and moving them around gently then draining and repeating 4 or 5 times.

I guess I just didn't rinse them *enough*. I thought about putting them in a bowl of water, but I was conflicted, with all the advice not to get mushrooms wet. Ah, well. They were still delicious, if a little sandy.

I know! I did worry about that a little but I followed his instructions and it worked well. I put them on some paper towel over a tea towel to let them dry and very gently blotted them after.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Last year I bought some morels that were particularly silty. The recommendation was to soak and swirl in salt water. It worked amazingly well.