I mistakenly picked up a turkey with added salt. Can I still brine it?

I'm thawing the bird in cold water--do you think that the water will help leach out some of the salt, or should I just eliminate the salt in my brine to be safe?

asked by emadethis almost 7 years ago

If it's a kosher bird, it should be fine, since they're just salted briefly. But if it's a Butterball or other pre-brined or deep-basted bird, don't brine it -- it'll be plenty seasoned and juicy on its own!

Stephanie Bourgeois
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

Hmmm... That's a tough one. Do you know how much salt was added?

Federico_

Careful about overdoing salt. If I were you I would brine it, but rinse the salt off before roasting.

emadethis

The sodium content on the nutrition label was plenty high in my opinion, so I'm defnitely thinking salt is a bad idea, but could I soak it do you think in a salt free brine with some sugar and aromatics?