🔕 🔔

I mistakenly picked up a turkey with added salt. Can I still brine it?

I'm thawing the bird in cold water--do you think that the water will help leach out some of the salt, or should I just eliminate the salt in my brine to be safe?

asked by emadethis almost 6 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

If it's a kosher bird, it should be fine, since they're just salted briefly. But if it's a Butterball or other pre-brined or deep-basted bird, don't brine it -- it'll be plenty seasoned and juicy on its own!

82bc15be d3cf 410a 9b82 665e7b26bd26  1081
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

Hmmm... That's a tough one. Do you know how much salt was added?

7971e363 c700 4683 b67b 640b9cf9144e  federicocooking

Careful about overdoing salt. If I were you I would brine it, but rinse the salt off before roasting.

19ce46b9 02f2 4945 940d 0bf922e8ed02  100 1967

The sodium content on the nutrition label was plenty high in my opinion, so I'm defnitely thinking salt is a bad idea, but could I soak it do you think in a salt free brine with some sugar and aromatics?