Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

I've been trying to come up with a recipe using Campari, the anise aperitif. I've seen some desert recipes, but...

,,,I'd like to do something savory with it, perhaps a salad dressing, or a poultry/rabbit braising liquid. Any thoughts? French chefs can substitute a pastis, like Ricard. Thanks.

asked by bugbitten over 5 years ago
401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Wrong path, grasshopper. Campari is not anise based. And in alcohol content it is way lower than pastis; about 14% v 43%. You can't set it on fire but you could think about working it into sorbet.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Campari is made with herbs and fruits, etc. Very distinct flavor - only similar I can think of is Aperol (btw, greatest summer drink ever: a spritz (prosecco) con aperol.) If you want an anise flavor, anisette, Ricard, Sambuca, Pernod, ouzo, and no doubt others, will provide that.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I have a great recipe for rabbit with pastis if that's the flavor you were really thinking about.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Maybe you're thinking of Pernod. That is the anise-flavored liqueur. Campari is an Italian bitter apéritif - totally different.

There are quite a few recipes in the food52 archives using Pernod: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Good luck!

E6f5e079 1551 4472 bc70 dcc35a71edc2  110

Thanks to everyone for their clarifications and corrections and directions. I'll follow the anise trail which I mixed up with the Campari flavor, since the anise recipes you've led me to seem intriguing.

My wife and I still remember the Campari cocktails with fresh-squeezed blood oranges we so enjoyed in Italy. I'll keep trying to bring that bitter and sweet feeling to a savory conclusion.

i've been making negronis lately. equal parts Campari, sweet vermouth, and gin in a cocktail shaker with lots of ice, shake, strain into small cocktail glass and squeeze in a small orange wedge.
As for your pastis, google Shrimp in Pernod Cream and see if you like that. Easy and marvelous.