I've been trying to come up with a recipe using Campari, the anise aperitif. I've seen some desert recipes, but...

,,,I'd like to do something savory with it, perhaps a salad dressing, or a poultry/rabbit braising liquid. Any thoughts? French chefs can substitute a pastis, like Ricard. Thanks.

asked by bugbitten over 7 years ago

Wrong path, grasshopper. Campari is not anise based. And in alcohol content it is way lower than pastis; about 14% v 43%. You can't set it on fire but you could think about working it into sorbet.

Campari is made with herbs and fruits, etc. Very distinct flavor - only similar I can think of is Aperol (btw, greatest summer drink ever: a spritz (prosecco) con aperol.) If you want an anise flavor, anisette, Ricard, Sambuca, Pernod, ouzo, and no doubt others, will provide that.

I have a great recipe for rabbit with pastis if that's the flavor you were really thinking about.

Maybe you're thinking of Pernod. That is the anise-flavored liqueur. Campari is an Italian bitter apéritif - totally different.

There are quite a few recipes in the food52 archives using Pernod: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Good luck!

bugbitten

Thanks to everyone for their clarifications and corrections and directions. I'll follow the anise trail which I mixed up with the Campari flavor, since the anise recipes you've led me to seem intriguing.

My wife and I still remember the Campari cocktails with fresh-squeezed blood oranges we so enjoyed in Italy. I'll keep trying to bring that bitter and sweet feeling to a savory conclusion.

Aimless

i've been making negronis lately. equal parts Campari, sweet vermouth, and gin in a cocktail shaker with lots of ice, shake, strain into small cocktail glass and squeeze in a small orange wedge.
As for your pastis, google Shrimp in Pernod Cream and see if you like that. Easy and marvelous.