Recipes named for professions? (Cacciatore, carbonara, marinere, etc.)

Hi. I'm trying to find recipes that are named after professions, especially those in other languages that aren't obvious to English speakers. For example: I just recently found out (from this site) that "chicken cacciatore" means "hunter's chicken," "pasta puttanesca" means (ahem) "prostitute's pasta," "pasta alla carbonara" can be interpreted as "coal miner's pasta," "sole meuniere" means "sole of the female tailor." Off the top of your heads, can you think of any other dishes in any languages whose names come from professions? Random, I know, but I was told that you Food52ers would be to the go-to group for this one.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me!

asked by kidicarus222 over 7 years ago

Financier -- not a dish but a rich French almond cake.

sarah k.

Great question! I'm just replying so I get all the answers delivered to my door!

Marinara is a "sailor's sauce". To be true to the original it should have a seafood component, such as anchovy.

Here's another; strozzapreti meaning "priest chokers." It's a specific pasta shape, with reference to a time when priests were known as gluttons as well as tax collectors.

usuba dashi

Many pasta shapes are name after body parts or things from nature

Panfusine

ditto as Sarah K.

Sadassa_Ulna

Oooh fun question, I started some investigating, and found this: a la jardiniere meaning "in the style of the gardener..."
and that lead me to this: http://www.glorious-food-glossary.com/cms/glossary/glossary-a/Page-2.html
lots to glean . . .

Helen's All Night Diner

Hmm, various Schnitzels (German) come to mind: Weiner = Viennese, Jäger = hunter, Zigeuner = gypsy.

I can tell this is going to become one of my favorite foodpickles ever.

Helen's All Night Diner

Bauernwurst = Bauer is a farmer

Sadassa_Ulna

"maitre d'hotel sauce"

And coming in from the low country of the Carolinas, Country Captain. I guess Colonel Sanders doesn't count.

Sadassa_Ulna

"frozen diplomat?" from "The Settlement Cookbook" (1910 edition) go to http://bit.ly/evCA3w

And how could I forget huevos rancheros. Eggs rancher style.

Sadassa_Ulna

Goulash (plural: goulashes) is a European soup or stew of meat and vegetables (especially onion), seasoned with paprika and other spices.[1] The name originates from the Hungarian gulyás ([??uja??] listen (help·info)), the word for a cattle stockman or herdsman. Goulash is also a popular meal in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Shepherd's Pie... Ploughman's Lunch (not exactly a recipe)...Galette du Roi (King's Cake - almond paste filled pastry)

Queen pudding.

betteirene

Nun's puffs

Similar in meaning to "cacciatore" but not exactly the same sauce, "sauce chasseur."

Bevi

Do Napoleons count?

I don't make up the rules here. But there are tons (literally) of dishes named after people. I don't think Napoleon is an occupation. Because after that you have stuff like Chicken Tetrazzini, Oysters Rockerfeller and so on. Now "green goddess" sauce; is goddess an occupation? What's the career path?

Bevi

Dictator?

Actually I'm an unapologetic Bonapartist. He was a general, eventually an emperor. Dictator, no. He did spread a rule of law throughout the rest of continental Europe and made the royals and popes sick to their stomachs because they could see what was coming next.

Is sultan a career? A very rarified one. There's an old Turkish eggplant and lamb recipe called Sultan's Delight.

Also from Turkey - there's another popular eggplant dish called Imam Bayaldi (means: the Imam - religious leader - died, it was so good.)

Sadassa_Ulna

Angel food cake / devil's food cake . . . in the line of green goddess dressing . . .

Sadassa_Ulna

from wiki: Pommes dauphine . . .
The dish is named after the Dauphine, the title given to the wife of the Dauphin, or heir to the French throne.
assuming that is a profession?
also Potatoes Duchesse

Sadassa_Ulna

a stretch, but I had to share, from wiki:
The word caipirinha is the diminutive version of the word caipira, which refers to someone from the countryside, being an almost exact equivalent of the American English hillbilly. The word may be used as either a masculine or a feminine noun, but when referring to this drink it is only feminine (usage of diminutives is common in Brazil). In the Brazilian vocabulary, the word caipirinha is mostly associated with the drink itself rather than the class of person.

Kayb

Can't believe no one's named pasta puttanesca!

Pasta puttanesca was part of the original question. Kaby, you get a DOINK for that.;-)

Kayb

Sigh. What I get for reading too fast!

Duchess cake (not exactly a profession, although I've heard that people who marry for money earn it), and anything "a la menagere," meaning housekeeper (sorry, can't figure out how to add diacritical marks in this text box). If you need many more of these, skim the index to The Escoffier Cook Book with a French-English translation tool handy if your French is rusty. Taking a very quick glance at it, I spotted a Mutton a la Boulangere, as well as several menagere dishes. And that was after about ten seconds, and the index is 36 pages long. There are, no doubt, dozens more. ;o)

betteirene

I was going to add cobbler to this list, except it's commonly defined as a person who repairs shoes, whereas the fruit cobbler was given its name because of its resemblance to a cobblestone street, but a person who lays cobblestones is not a cobbler.

Doink?

Caballero potris is a dessert of Belize--kind of like French toast soaked with orange flower syrup.

French Gateau Opéra

I don't think the Iman died -- recipes I've seen say he fainted! (at the quantity of olive oil required for the recipe)

Oops, you're right, susan g. The Imam fainted, not died. Lucky for him ;)

CazHill

This question certainly does strike a few chords to get the brain thinking. I came up with these two recipes pretty quick which makes me think bread and cheese is for dinner to night.

Basque Sheepherders Bread and Farmers Cheese

Borracho - drunken. (Borracho Beans) Being a drunk could be a profession.

Now I can't stop - gratin - upper crust of society. Farfelle - farfalla singular, butterfly.-

Sadassa_Ulna

Maids of Honour = tarts named after the ladies in waiting (attendants) of Elizabeth 1st.

from http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/miscellaneous/fetch-recipe.php?rid=misc-maids-of-honour

Steak pizzaiolo (pizza maker's steak)

Caesar Salad

You know, Mrs L, it never occurred to me to submit this one. Thank you! Financier is a French cake named, so the saying goes, for the area around La Bourse, the Paris Stock Exchange. Generically, "cuisine chasseure" in French refers to hunters' cooking - usually game meats, mushrooms. Also in French "Bonne Femme" refers to housewives' whatever - usually what was on hand from the garden and the larder, and since when is *housewife* not a profession! This has been such a great question!

King Cake

Chef salad

Po' Boy - named for sandwiches that beggars received, said James Beard. He also said Caesar Salad named after some dude in Tijuana, so that's a doink for me, sadly.

Cappuccino - named for the friar's hoods or some such.

Chicken Scarpariello - no idea why it's called "Shoemaker's Chicken", but it's darn tasty.

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

There's a Danish smorrebrod (open faced sandwich - both of those o's are supposed to have slashes through them) called "the veteranarian's midnight snack" or "Dyrlægens Natmad." There's a Norwegian cookie called "fattigmen" meaning poor men. Chicken cacciatore means hunter's chicken - did somebody already say that? And there's also a Norwegian dessert called "veiled farm girls" or "tilslorte bondepiker".

Panfusine

Bunny Chow:
a South African dish consisting of a hollowed out 1/2 loaf of bread & filled with curry. Named after the 'Bania', The Banias were the Indian merchants who settled in South Africa in the 1800's. Bania is the Hindi term for trader.

JulieBoulangerie

Reine de saba

Homemadecornbread

cowboy beans

Homemadecornbread

soupe de poisson - I'm craving it now!

Homemadecornbread

I should clarify - soupe de poisson means fisherman's stew...

kidicarus222

Hey. Thanks all who answered the question. I was promised that you guys knew your stuff and you didn't fail to impress. You rock.

vvvanessa

i just saw this in the editors' picks candidates list today:

Demington

How about sole meuniere for the hard working miller's wife? The serve a religieuse. And after toast women with a glass (or two) of Veuve Cliquot!

FrankJasper

Boscaiola: Wood cutter's. As in Woodcutter's Pasta.