🔕 🔔

How does one make Fresh pasta w/o eggs? Could anyone give me some pointers please? Thanks much!

Just acquired a pasta making apparatus, but the instructions inside only refer to pasta with eggs included..

asked by Panfusine over 6 years ago

33f00148 b116 47f0 8789 76ae3bdb2bbb  photo 1

I generally start with 3.5 cups of flour about 1 cup of water and add more flour as necessary. I also make it in the traditional well method. Orecchiette is the traditional no-egg pasta dough that I'm familiar with. I generally add some olive oil and salt, but that's because I prefer the taste. Orechiette also uses regular AP flour and semolina (1/2 and 1/2). The most important thing is to make it wetter initially, because you can always add more flour. In my experience, egg-less dough is a little more delicate to work with.

You can also make pasta dough with just egg whites, if that's of interest.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Yes CRS is right. I use the same ratio of semolina and AP and add olive oil, I make it in my food processor and it turns out well. Its similar to a crostini dough and tastes great.

Most recipes for eggless pasta use semolina flour in place of part or all of the all-purpose. A 50/50 mix works well, I've found. Some recipes include salt or oil, but it's not necessary.

Otherwise, the process is much like making pasta with eggs: mix water (about 1/4 C per cup of flour) into the flour(s) by hand or in a food processor until it forms a ball, knead until the dough is uniform (at least five minutes by hand, less if you used a processer first), let it rest at least a half hour in the fridge (important), and roll out by hand or in a pasta machine. Or form into shapes by hand (pici, oricchiette, etc)--these are fun if you have time; children enjoy helping--it's like playing with PlayDoh.

The texture of the dough is somewhat firmer than egg pasta, and the cooked product has more chew.

Wholefoods user icon

Have you ever tried potato gnocchi? It's very easy and my husband loves it! lots of recipes on the net...Basically, boil potatoes until tender...cool slightly and then put through a ricer. add small ount of flour and a pinch of salt. roll strands tnen cut little pillows hat you boil for just a few minutes....delicious with any sauce!