Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Lemon cookies w/frosting at Macy's Chicago...recipe?

A few weeks ago, we visited Chicago and had amazing lemon cookies with a lemon frosting in the deli area downstairs at Macy's. They had a kind of shortbread thickness to them. My husband went back and bought more as I liked them so much. I have tried a great lemon sugar cookie recipe here. Fabulous but not what I was looking for as it was too thin. I'm looking for something that's a quarter-inch thick and slightly chewy. The frosting was probably a straight-forward lemon-confectionar's sugar combination, but the cookie itself alludes me after looking at a lot of recipes all over and trying a few. Did find an amazing lemon custard cake and am now obsessed with lemons. Any ideas for the cookies? Has anyone else tried them? I don't live near a Macy's cafe or I would go back. Does Macy's sell them in New York so that maybe a New York cook would have tasted them and knew what was in them? Thanks!

asked by Bluejade over 5 years ago
Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Here is my advice: Tweak mrslarkin's prize-winning sugar cookie recipe by substituting an equal amount of fresh lemon juice for the vanilla, and add a teaspoon or two of lemon zest.

For the frosting, combine a cup of powdered sugar with 2 pats of very soft butter, 1/4 teaspoon of lemon zest and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Add a dribble of heavy cream (no substitutions here). Use a whisk, mixer or handheld blender to whip the mixture, adding droplets of cream as necessary, to get a thick and smooth a fluffy spreadable frosting.

mrslarkin's cookies are the best.

3c85e3d5 0e2b 4522 b6bf 8ff939e4a914  p1000966

Thanks!I love mrslarkins' sugar cookie recipe and the suggestion is good. But these cookies were much thicker. Maybe I need a shortbread recipe to adapt into lemon flavor...?

I am so happy to find someone else who is obsessed with these cookies! I work near the Macy's and was delighted to find these lemon cookies a couple months ago. Sadly, the cookie was a seasonal item for spring and they are no longer offering it. I've been on the hunt for the recipe myself. I just made Cook's Illustrated glazed lemon cookie recipe (can be found with a google search) and they were good and of similar thickness to the Macy's cookie but weren't quite as chewy.