Lemon cookies w/frosting at Macy's Chicago...recipe?

A few weeks ago, we visited Chicago and had amazing lemon cookies with a lemon frosting in the deli area downstairs at Macy's. They had a kind of shortbread thickness to them. My husband went back and bought more as I liked them so much. I have tried a great lemon sugar cookie recipe here. Fabulous but not what I was looking for as it was too thin. I'm looking for something that's a quarter-inch thick and slightly chewy. The frosting was probably a straight-forward lemon-confectionar's sugar combination, but the cookie itself alludes me after looking at a lot of recipes all over and trying a few. Did find an amazing lemon custard cake and am now obsessed with lemons. Any ideas for the cookies? Has anyone else tried them? I don't live near a Macy's cafe or I would go back. Does Macy's sell them in New York so that maybe a New York cook would have tasted them and knew what was in them? Thanks!

asked by Bluejade over 7 years ago

betteirene

Here is my advice: Tweak mrslarkin's prize-winning sugar cookie recipe by substituting an equal amount of fresh lemon juice for the vanilla, and add a teaspoon or two of lemon zest.

For the frosting, combine a cup of powdered sugar with 2 pats of very soft butter, 1/4 teaspoon of lemon zest and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Add a dribble of heavy cream (no substitutions here). Use a whisk, mixer or handheld blender to whip the mixture, adding droplets of cream as necessary, to get a thick and smooth a fluffy spreadable frosting.

mrslarkin's cookies are the best.

Bluejade

Thanks!I love mrslarkins' sugar cookie recipe and the suggestion is good. But these cookies were much thicker. Maybe I need a shortbread recipe to adapt into lemon flavor...?

iheartfood

I am so happy to find someone else who is obsessed with these cookies! I work near the Macy's and was delighted to find these lemon cookies a couple months ago. Sadly, the cookie was a seasonal item for spring and they are no longer offering it. I've been on the hunt for the recipe myself. I just made Cook's Illustrated glazed lemon cookie recipe (can be found with a google search) and they were good and of similar thickness to the Macy's cookie but weren't quite as chewy.