🔕 🔔

chocolate frosting

I'm looking for a chocolatey, but not too dark, chocolate frosting for a yellow cake. I don't want a ganache, and I don't want a buttercream that is too buttery. Something sweet, but not cloying. Any tried and true favorites?

asked by ATG117 over 6 years ago

This is my favorite. It reads like ganache, but the addition of butter along with the corn syrup softens it, so it gets nice and creamy. I've included all my tweaks and comments from when I made it.
Susan

Shiney Chocolate Icing - All recipes (I think)

2 cups Chocolate Chips, Semi Sweet
1 cup Heavy Cream
2 Tbsp Sugar, granulated ( I used heaping tbsp’s)
2 Tbsp Corn Syrup
1/4cup Crisco (I used butter), cut into 4 pieces

In 2qt saucepan, whisk together the cream, sugar and corn syrup. Bring to boil over med heat, boil one minute.. (I did not bring to boil, I only allowed the cream to get hot enough to disolve the sugar, it just barely bubbled around the side of the pan)

Remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips and whisk until smooth. Add vanilla and butter, one piece at a time and whisk in until butter is melted and mixture is smooth.

Transfer to a mediium bowl and chill until thickened. Stir until spread able, about 5 or so minutes. (It will lighten in color if you beat it more)

Enough frosting for a 9inch, 2 layer cake.

It is wonderful. It’s similar to fudge or ganache, but softer. Nice dark chocolate sheen that can be lightened by beating more.. I used one 10oz bag of Hershey’s Special Dark chips for this. Next time I’ll use semi sweet, I wanted a more bitter chocolate flavor.