🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Shrimp and Pork Dumplings

020dfbe8 334b 4054 8688 b0eb92356ea1  shumai022810

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Shrimp and Pork Dumplings" from edamame2003. It says:

"In a large mixing bowl whip 2 egg whites, add tapioca flour and lemon.

Can you use regular flour, if you don't have tapioca flour?

asked by jrzyms over 6 years ago

Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

Unfortunately, I think tapioca flour is important here as it's more similar to corn starch in how it behaves than regular flour. It also has a flavor that edamame2003 probably was looking for...that being said, let's see if edamame2003 weighs in. Until then, here's an interesting bit I found on tapioca flour substitutes: http://www.buzzle.com/articles... . Do you have potato starch?

Dfb19ca1 0e48 4f96 b752 21596260fde5  hand paw

Thank you so much, your answer has been very helpful.
I can substitute corn starch for tapioca flour.

8c98c3fd a431 4ea2 97e4 20e3da713ce7  eda takoyaki cooking

hi-i would substitute corn starch or rice flour. the flour is used to bind the ingredients together. I'm not sure how regular flour works, but if you have corn starch; it should do the trick. thanks for asking.