A question about a recipe: Shrimp and Pork Dumplings

020dfbe8 334b 4054 8688 b0eb92356ea1  shumai022810

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Shrimp and Pork Dumplings" from edamame2003. It says:

"In a large mixing bowl whip 2 egg whites, add tapioca flour and lemon.

Can you use regular flour, if you don't have tapioca flour?

asked by jrzyms over 7 years ago

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

Unfortunately, I think tapioca flour is important here as it's more similar to corn starch in how it behaves than regular flour. It also has a flavor that edamame2003 probably was looking for...that being said, let's see if edamame2003 weighs in. Until then, here's an interesting bit I found on tapioca flour substitutes: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/tapioca-flour-substitute.html . Do you have potato starch?

jrzyms

Thank you so much, your answer has been very helpful.
I can substitute corn starch for tapioca flour.

edamame2003

hi-i would substitute corn starch or rice flour. the flour is used to bind the ingredients together. I'm not sure how regular flour works, but if you have corn starch; it should do the trick. thanks for asking.