🔕 🔔

So... about all of these Easter eggs....

2f02eb6c 32ce 4924 8006 e0134eaa18ae  photo

that were unrefrigerated (but fairly cool) for most of a day... they look fine, smell fine... are they really fine?

asked by saenyc over 6 years ago

i had always heard that it was a "smell" thing... that you'd know a bad egg, so to speak, pretty easily.

i have to say though... those are beautiful eggs - great colors!

thanks hazed, this was the first non-Paz year.... red cabbage makes blue, beets makes red, coffee: brown, turmeric: yellow, and i think green was a mix of onion skins? it was pretty cool.... definitely not as fast as the artificial stuff, but very fun.

E62e0bbe 150b 48ec b798 be466aea638b  landing

sorry, that was a "quote" question... how long is the natural process?

took a few hours... you can't really dip and dye... more of a long soak.

Gorgeous colors, and I think you're fine with the eggs.

Wholefoods user icon

I always say if you have to guess,better not take chances. with that said, if you properly cooked the eggs and the shells are not damaged and you have an uncomprimised inmune system.
egg salad sandwiches for lunch!
I also enjoy a good pickled egg!
here is an old family recipe...
1 cup vinegar
3 cups water
2 Tbs. salt
3 Tbs. sugar
2 roasted beets
1/2 onion sliced
6 to 10 peeled hard cooked eggs.

In a cleaned and sanitized jar with a tight fitting lid. To sanitize simply use a little bleach and water solution to wash the container. Layer the beets, onion, and eggs in the jar. meanwhile in a saucepan bring the water, vinegar, salt, and sugar to a boil and pour carefully over the food in the jar. let cool to room temperature and then store in the refridgerator for 7 to 10 days.
The eggs will take on the magenta hue and beety flavor. They make beautiful and delicious develed eggs.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

YOUR EGGS ARE GORGEOUS.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

What did the blue egg come from? I'd add my vote to the "they're fine" side. Highly recommend making your favorite egg salad, adding crumbled bacon and grated cheddar, and broiling on toast. Wonderful!

the blue egg was, weirdly, red cabbage. I was skeptical but it worked... but again, that was probably soaking for six hours.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Nice. Very nice. I did that when my sons were very young, but mine weren't anywhere near as vibrant as yours. I'll have to try it again next year with the grandkids.

I've never factored Easter Sunday into the expiration date of boiled eggs. The clock doesn't start ticking until the leftovers are put into the refrigerator after dinner.

Those are the most beautiful colored eggs I have ever seen!