🔕 🔔

Blueberry scone recipe using less butter plus yoghurt? Maybe with spelt flour too?

I love blueberry scones but hate all the butter that goes into them. I'm thinking that I can substitute some of the butter with yoghurt. I'm also considering using spelt flour so they are moister. Any suggestions?

asked by anntruelove over 6 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Curious why you hate the butter?

Anyhoo, I've never tried making scones with yogurt, but it's worth a shot if you're trying to reduce your fat content.

You'll need to keep some amount of fat to make them flaky and tender. I wouldn't use less than 4 tablespoons of butter if you're looking to reduce the butter. Also, I'd probably go with a full-fat Greek-style yogurt.

I've read in Kim Boyce's book Good To The Grain that spelt flour is very water-soluble, so it sucks up more liquid than regular flour. But since you're using yogurt, which contains a lot of liquid, it might actually work.

Good luck! Let us know how they turn out!

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Yes, you can use yogurt. Just make sure it is very cold. Other alternatives could be non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening or even coconut cream. This food 52 video by Amanda and Merrill cleverly demonstrates how to separate the coconut cream in a can of coconut milk: http://www.food52.com/blog...