Blueberry scone recipe using less butter plus yoghurt? Maybe with spelt flour too?

I love blueberry scones but hate all the butter that goes into them. I'm thinking that I can substitute some of the butter with yoghurt. I'm also considering using spelt flour so they are moister. Any suggestions?

mrslarkin April 28, 2011

Curious why you hate the butter?

Anyhoo, I've never tried making scones with yogurt, but it's worth a shot if you're trying to reduce your fat content.

You'll need to keep some amount of fat to make them flaky and tender. I wouldn't use less than 4 tablespoons of butter if you're looking to reduce the butter. Also, I'd probably go with a full-fat Greek-style yogurt.

I've read in Kim Boyce's book Good To The Grain that spelt flour is very water-soluble, so it sucks up more liquid than regular flour. But since you're using yogurt, which contains a lot of liquid, it might actually work.

Good luck! Let us know how they turn out!

Anitalectric
Anitalectric April 29, 2011

Yes, you can use yogurt. Just make sure it is very cold. Other alternatives could be non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening or even coconut cream. This food 52 video by Amanda and Merrill cleverly demonstrates how to separate the coconut cream in a can of coconut milk: http://www.food52.com/blog...