How many cups is 1/2 pounds of confectioner's sugar?

asked by kkrueger about 7 years ago

nutcakes

One pound of powdered sugar is about 3-3/4 cups measured (between 3-1/2 and 4 cups.) Sor for 1/2 pound, use 1-7/8th cup.

I disagree with the first answer because powdered sugar comes in weight which does not always compute to fluid ounces such as a cup measure.

lorigoldsby

I agree with nutcakes (although I haven't gotten out the measuring cups to check her math!). ...the confusion may have come because powdered sugar used to be sold in boxes by the pound. Many recipes would call for a box or pound of confectioner's (powdered) sugar. So you knew to use a half box or whole box...

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I would use 2.

Yep, my bag of confec. sugar says 1/4 cup = about 1 oz. So 2 cups = about a 1/2 pound of 10x.

If you're not able to weigh it, fluff it up really well before measuring it.