330g of caster sugar = how many US Cups?

Is anybody good at converting grams (caster sugar) to US cups? From the conversion charts I have found I am thinking 1-1/4 cups (but not sure about the 1/4). Anybody a genius at this? Because I am not :) Thank You!

• Posted by: lapadia
  • October 25, 2011

mrslarkin October 25, 2011

wow, this American who almost failed math is having a really hard time figuring it out! I just weighed a cup of sugar with my OXO scale and got 220 grams, 7 3/4 ounces. So 330 grams must be 1 1/2 cups, no? Again, I am no math major. We should ask hardlikearmour - she's really smart and her hubby is a math teacher. And more importantly, lapadia why are you up so early?

lapadia
lapadia October 25, 2011

Hey, you are just as good as math as I am. I got the 220 grams and from there figured between 1/4 to 1/2, but it bothers me when I can't get the exact (OCD)! Oh ya....HLA, i'll msg. her, of course she will probably see this, sooner or later. OKAY and why am I up so early:
Saturday I went to bed with a bad sore throat and it has gotten progressively worse. I am being kept up from sneezing one after another. I am sitting with a box of Kleenex at the computer. Feeling very miserable! And I am tired of the 'I can't believe It's not Butter" and the "Bounce" commercial at the right of this website popping up at me when the mouse hoovers over it.

MaryMaryCulinary
MaryMaryCulinary October 25, 2011

I get just less than 1 3/4 cups. According to The Cake Bible, 1 cup is 200 grams.
Here's my math: 200 g=1 cup
+100 g=1/2 cup
+30 g=2 tablespoons+1 teaspoon
= somewhere right between 1 1/2 and 1 3/4

lapadia
lapadia October 25, 2011

Thanks, MMC! It looks like we are all in agreement with 1-1/2, which is what I was going to go with in the first place. So maybe I will wing it and use 1-1/2 cups....throw in a couple tablespoons and wing it. After all I have not kitchen police watching me...I will hope for the best. ;)

Regine
Regine October 25, 2011

It s not 1 1/2 cup but 1 3/4 cup minus 1 1/2 tsp

lapadia
lapadia October 25, 2011

Oh how perfect, Regine, I LOVE it! Math genius :)

lapadia
lapadia October 25, 2011

I will go with Regine's figures...thanks again!

susan g October 25, 2011

Lapadia, I found a conversion chart (http://www.traditionaloven...). 330 g = 1.47 US cups.
I think some of the fuzziness here is due to the nature of caster sugar, which is like American superfine sugar, so it may pack down more for the same weight.

hardlikearmour October 25, 2011

I'll add my 2 cents. Caster sugar is slightly heavier per cup than regular US granulated sugar. I come up with 225 grams per cup, so 330 grams is 1.47 cups (1.5 cups minus 1.5 t.) If you're using regular granulated sugar it's 200 grams per cup, so you'd want to use 1.65 cups (which is close enough to 1 2/3 cups for me, but you could subtract a teaspoon and it would be close to perfect.)

lapadia
lapadia October 25, 2011

Seriously, thanks all! OCD brain has kicked into high gear :) I'll use superfine sugar and go for 1-2/3 C, which is slightly under 1-3/4 and that matches close to Regine's figures. Everything should be perfect, now. Well, after this sneezing and coughing has left my body...