🔕 🔔

My chives have flowered! What should I do with them?

asked by RebeccaCooks over 6 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

If you let them go to seed you will soon have chives everywhere - ask me how I know :-)

The flowers are edible - use them for pretty in a salad, or throw them in a saute, or - tempura fry them?

B6a74962 31fc 4e50 b866 0ea34483cfb8  fb avatar

If they are still fresh and pretty put them on a salad! If they are bedraggled, just snip them off and use the stem. If they have started to form seeds, let them completed the process and replant so that you get more chives!

4de32233 9b14 42ac bf6a 7a02a8474e54  dsc 0034

add to egg salad!

Eat them! They're delicious. And they are among the prettiest garnishes you could imagine.

Do leave some to propagate and make more chives. And did you know that garlic chives have white flowers? Together, the chive family really enhances a herb garden.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

I have just been admiring mine, but from here I now know you can eat them! Awesome!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

The chef at my restaurant uses them as a garnish for soup. They are so pretty!