My chives have flowered! What should I do with them?

asked by RebeccaCooks about 7 years ago

If you let them go to seed you will soon have chives everywhere - ask me how I know :-)

The flowers are edible - use them for pretty in a salad, or throw them in a saute, or - tempura fry them?

Verdigris

If they are still fresh and pretty put them on a salad! If they are bedraggled, just snip them off and use the stem. If they have started to form seeds, let them completed the process and replant so that you get more chives!

student epicure

add to egg salad!

Eat them! They're delicious. And they are among the prettiest garnishes you could imagine.

Do leave some to propagate and make more chives. And did you know that garlic chives have white flowers? Together, the chive family really enhances a herb garden.

wssmom

I have just been admiring mine, but from here I now know you can eat them! Awesome!

RebeccaCooks

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

The chef at my restaurant uses them as a garnish for soup. They are so pretty!