Lots of Chives. What to do?

I recently started an herb garden and my chives have just exploded! Needless to say, I need lots of ways to use chives (because right now I basically am sprinkling on eggs, roasted potatoes and salads...) Ideas?

asked by TheFritschKitchen over 6 years ago

PistachioDoughnut

Chive biscuits..

meganvt01

Chive pesto - that way it can be stored in your fridge for a while.

TheFritschKitchen

I thought about this... but I've never been a huge parsley fan. Any chance you have a recipe for chive pesto with no parsley? The only ones I can find rely heavily on parsley.
Thanks!

Rivka

Make a big pot of asparagus or pea or fava soup, and add a whole bunch of chives right before blending it smooth - then a bunch diced on top for serving. So good.

Lovely in buttermilk-based salad dressings! So mild, so delicate, and adding flavor with a longer shelf life than in your salad. Or, for a use that will keep indefinitely (at least a year), infuse white wine vinegar with chives -- finely chop, put in a jar with a vinegar-proof lid or a bottle with a cork, let sit in a dark place for two weeks, then strain. I'd add a tiny clove of garlic with the chives, too, lightly crushed. My chives are also going wild. As are all of my other herbs, thanks to the (unusual for us) spring rain! ;o)

LE BEC FIN

aj, i have sent you two messages in the past 2 wks through your 'direct' email but have not heard anything from you. Just curious- did you rcve them?
mindy

withinseason

Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express has a chive salad recipe. It's basically bunch of chives + lettuce with a soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil dressing.

Look at the current contest -- the chive recipes on f52 are growing rapidly!

LE BEC FIN

well, you now have a contest that will have MANY ideas for you! And fyi, they freeze very well. And also fyi, no one can ever use all the chives they have!

TheFritschKitchen

Perfect! I didn't even realize the contest was going on, it's fate! Thanks everyone. And withinseason - I am going to absolutely try the Mark Bittman salad. Love him!

Let some of them blossom and make chive blossom vinegar!
A friend sent me this link just this week: http://www.foodinjars.com...
Make sure to look at the photo of the final product. It's gorgeous: http://www.foodinjars.com...

Mine blossomed and went to seed and I now have a gigantic chive farm :-) I am READY for this week's theme!!!

louisez

I dry excess chives for year-round use. If you don't have a dehydrator, look online for other drying methods (including microwave instructions).

CrashKate

Chive oil! Yummmmm