🔕 🔔

What to do with surplus chives?

The chive flowers are pretty much gone by--I used a lot of them in salads and infused some rice vinegar with them. Now the chives are getting to that woody stage and falling over under their own weight on top of my other herbs. Any ideas for using a LOT of chives? I will probably chop and freeze some but that will account for about one percent of my supply.

asked by LisaD over 1 year ago

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

why not make a compound butter? Also, chive pesto will use up a lot and you can freeze the pesto in an ice cube tray and then put them in a zip lock so you have it already portioned. I do that with basil pesto and chimichurri.

that's what I was going to suggest, too. Bear in mind those chives will recreate themselves, so using them now won't solve your problem for the whole summer.

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

Don't need to chop first before freezing! Simply place the chives in a neat bunch and wrap tightly with plastic wrap or foil and freeze. You can then cut them with kitchen shears directly into your Dish, or chop just what you need on a cutting board.
I'd gladly take some of your chives! How about a cold potato-chive soup? Or add them to quick pickles. Use anywhere you would use any other herb.
I use chives in place of onions because I can't digest onions but sometimes the oniony flavor is desirable.

Potato and chive soup came to my mind as well. It can be served cold like vichyssoise.

In addition to good ideas so far-
Omelet or frittata
Roasted with garlic and leek
En papillote (largely but not only for fish)
If not too woody, mix with lots of othe leafy herbs for a green salad without lettuce
Anywhere you'd use regular onion, wh egg salad sandwich
Green goddess dressing

This is good Vietnamese home cooking: Chive & Tofu soup

- take a handful of chives (rinsed clean), cut into 1" pieces. About 2-3 cups loosely packed
- in a med-large pot, heat 1tb oil and sauté 4 oz of ground beef until cooked
- add about 4-5 cups water and chives
- bring to a boil and add soft (not silken) tofu cubes, 8-12 oz. simmer until tofu is heated through. Take off heat.
- season with salt or fish sauce (nuoc mam) and freshly grated black pepper.
- serve with hot cooked rice.

Treat the chives like a vegetable. Use it in stir fries, soups, etc. I'll best it can be used in garlic noodles

012dfbd1 43d9 417a ae27 f5cd7f65b8fe  img 0736

Use in biscuits, or along with cheddar in biscuits.

293d95fd 52e1 46ad a2db e4854254ee22  image 1

Thanks, all! Some are going to be frozen and many will go into a vichyssoise this weekend. Any favorite recipes for that? I'm not wild about the options here. (One has flour added and one has red potatoes, which I have tried in a pureed soup with disastrous, grainy results.)

I swear by Julia Child's recipe for Potage Parmentier, which can be served hot or cold. The only thing I would change (heresy?!) is she calls for russet potatoes, which I think are better for roasting. Any good boiling potato - red, white, Yukon gold - would be better.
From Mastering the Art of French Cooking (later called Vol 1).
http://www.popsugar.com...

4e44c326 7cc2 42c2 8c1f e55e60b8bb30  image

You can cut back your chives and there will be re growth