What to do with chive blossoms?

I am growing chives and surprisingly they sprouted beautiful purple flowers. After googling what they were, I found that they were edible. People said they threw them in salads, made vinegar, or made chive butter. I have yet to try anything out - does anyone have a favourite use of chive blossoms?

asked by jessicamclement over 3 years ago

lastnightsdinner

Chive blossom butter is my favorite thing to make with them. I usually make a bunch and freeze little logs of it. It's wonderful on soft scrambled eggs, steaks, baked potatoes, or even toast.

jessicamclement

Ah super! Thanks for the answer... I was leaning toward chive butter because, well, I love butter!

Lindsey-Jean Hard wrote a great article about chive blossoms. Here is is: https://food52.com/blog...

jessicamclement

Oops, maybe I should have checked the food52 archives first - what a great article, thank you!!

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Taking another direction, I like to cut little bunches of the blossoms and put them in a bud vase - the color is so lovely!

jessicamclement

This is a nice idea because it doesn't require any time at all... I may do this with the first couple of blossoms! Thanks!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I love them as a garnish on simple pastas. They take cacio e pepe to a whole new level.

jessicamclement

I've seen a recipe for cacio e pepe on food52 before that I wanted to try, but I never got around to it... this may give me some inspiration now, thank you!

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Chive blossom omelet w chives chopped into half inch lengths- Spring Omelet!

jessicamclement

Yum! Thank you for this!

Also delicious lightly grilled alonside a steak!

jessicamclement

Thank you!

My garlic chives have white flowers. I toss them in salads, make chive butter with them and the chives, and that butter is not only great on broiled or grilled fish, but is a lovely pasta topping.

jessicamclement

Thanks for the tips! I am really liking the idea of chive butter.

Annie Fenn

This is what I'll be doing with mine--Chive blossom vinegar. Mine are just starting to bloom. David Leite says the vinegar will be dark pink, like a very embarrassed rosé. And he adds it to potato salads and so much more.
http://leitesculinaria.com/80938/recipes-chive-blossom-vinegar.html

jessicamclement

Excellent ... so I imagine it's a beautiful to have in the kitchen as well as delicious! Thanks!