Are chive flowers edible?

In what recipes have you used them?

asked by Marnely over 7 years ago

Yes! They make a lovely garnish for just about anything.

Chives are in the garlic, leek, onion, shallot family and are best used fresh. The chives and the flowers are good in soups or cheese and cream based sauces. They are great on potatoes, egg dishes and vegetables. Chives are a delicate way to get onion flavor into a dish. Enjoy!

They are so beautiful, I add them to salad when I have them.

prettyPeas

One of my favorite things to do with the purple flowers from my chives is to cut the soft ends from the flower and mix them into goat cheese for a spread that looks and tastes great.

Dabblings

Absolutly!! Salad and homemade chive blossom vinegar a lot of herbal flowers are edible. Here's a link to give you some more. http://herbgardens.about.com/od/herbalgardendesign/a/EdibleFlowerGar.htm

RIPNGUITAR

I have eaten at least 20 raw chive flower buds this weekend and I feel great. Yes

Marnely

Thank you everyone for your great answers!

Love your toes and ocean photo. I have one of mine looking out over the Pacific off San Diego.

fo
fo

They are edible, and when sprinkled over spring salads, they will lend a mild chive flavor as well as a beautiful shower of purplely pink. Chives and their blossoms contain similar health benefits as garlic and onions - anything in the allium family really. The blossoms contain milder sulfur compounds found in concentrated quantities in those allium members, that can reduce the risk of cancer. These compounds are reported to also have beneficial effects on the circulatory, digestive and respiratory systems. The allium family, including your chive blossoms, are have anti-viral and anti-fungal compounds as well, just like garlic. Enjoy your chive blossoms regularly, and know that you will also be fighting cancer and viruses when you eat them!

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Even the garlic chives make huge white globes of edible flowers. They are fun dipped in a light batter and fried as well. A little sweet chile sauce makes it a party!