What's the best/easiest way to roast a bell pepper?

I usually stick them under the broiler for 5-10 minutes until I get a nice charred skin and wait until cool to peel, but wondering if anyone has any other tricks out there!

hardlikearmour May 2, 2011

The only thing I'd add is put them in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap or put them in a plastic bag to help steam the skins loose so they peel easier.

foongfest
foongfest May 2, 2011

I leave it on my stove (it's gas), turning it as it chars.

When it's done, I put it in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap/foil, wrap it up in foil/plastic or seal in in a ziploc bag till it's cool enough to handle. The moisture from condensation helps with removing the skin.

ChefJune May 2, 2011

the fastest way I've found is to put on an oven mitt, take a long pair of tongs, and hold the pepper over the gas flame on top the stove, turning it as it blisters on each side. Then toss the hot, blistered peppers into a brown paper bag and close the top for a few minutes to let the resulting steam make sliding that blistered skin off the pepper.

Panfusine
Panfusine May 2, 2011

I do the same thing as ChefJune except I like to rub the skin with some olive oil prior to charring it over the gas flame, helps peel the charred skin right off!, works for roasting eggplants as well!

prettyPeas
prettyPeas May 2, 2011

I use the burner method for small peppers for salsa, but often fire up the grill for a large batch of bell peppers. With my deck/kithcen setup it is just as easy as turning on the broiler and easier to monitor. I let them cool in a lidded bowl before peeling in my frequently foiled quest to avoid disposable products.

Bevi
Bevi May 3, 2011

I like to stick them in the oven on high heat, on a sheet pan. Usually 425 - 450 and I turn them with tongs to get an even char. I also then stick them in a paper bag to cool and allow the skins to loosen.

Sodium Girl
Sodium Girl May 3, 2011

This is amazing! Thanks everyone for the great advice. Seems like I was missing the whole "stick it in a bag to steam" part. No more partly peeled peppers for me!

Aimless
Aimless May 3, 2011

I stem and core them first (much easier than after), then put them in pieces as flat as possible on a foil lined broiling pan. Then broil and watch them somewhat carefully, shifting the pieces around until they are all evenly charred. Remove from oven, and just lift the foil off the pan and up around them, sealing the top, to steam for a bit before sliding skins off. Very easy and effective method, which I use often. Love roasted pepper salads.

brandon
brandon May 3, 2011

blow torch