Any pressure cooker fans out there?

I'm thinking of getting a Fagor 8-quart model, primarily to cut down on cooking time for beans and tougher cuts of meat. Worth the investment? What dishes do you like to make in your pressure cooker?

asked by EmilyC over 7 years ago

Panfusine

absolutely, can't do without it.. Since one of my main source of protein comes from Lentils, I find the pressure cooker indispensable for cooking them., also a great way to steam up vegetables for pureeing etc., and rice if I need to make it sticky and really mushy for a recipe. The pan of the cooker being heavy bottomed, also comes in handy for a lot of other uses

Helen's All Night Diner

I love mine! I have 2 Fagor models, one is a 6 qt which I use several times a week. The other is the canner which I use for canning as well as larger batches of a recipe. I frequently make soups and stews with my pressure cooker. It's also great for longer cooking items like artichokes. There are some great recipes on this site. I would also refer you to Lorna Sass who is the queen of pressure cooking. She's got a great website & blog.

Absolutely! I use mine primarily for beans - but it has changed my bean life. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!

I have a Kuhn Rikon, mostly for cooking beans. It is a 7-liter model (a little over 7 quarts). I love it and want to get a second. 8 quart is a good size, because you need to include a little air space...

spiffypaws

I love it. Great for making stock (it won't be clear, but I don't care), beans and any tough meat that normally requires hours braising in oven or on stove. It's also great for steaming vegetables. I have a Fagor, and it is definately worth it.

MTMitchell

My husband and I love our pressure cooker. We have made, with great success: different chilis (including starting the beans from dry, adding meat or not, etc.); pea soup; white bean soup; short ribs; pulled pork; lamb shanks; and all different kinds of chicken thigh recipes. To me, there's a lot to be said for being able to come home from work on a Friday and tee up a really nice dinner in under 60 minutes.

prettyPeas

Agreed! Definitely worth it given how much it cuts down the cooking time on things like legumes, potatoes, and stock. Plus, there are some novel applications that need the higher temperature in the pressure cooker to work, like browining milk solids in a canning jar from Ideas In Food, or cooking onions for onion soup in a jar, like Modernist Cuisine.

melissav

I also use it to make stock with great success. So quick and easy.

hip pressure cooking

Emily, have you made your decision? In addition to cooking, whole grains and beans and stocks - pressure cooker is great for cooking eggs, fish, veggies, fruit and desserts - yes, yummy, steamy, delicious desserts! If you have a chance, come for a visit to see all of the delicious things you can cook with your , eventual, pessure cooker - FASTER!

Ciao,

L

http://www.hippressurecooking...
making pressure cooking hip, one recipe at a time!