Herbs you can grow indoors

I have unsuccessfully tried to grow basil indoors (potted plant on a window sill). Chives from seed don't seem to fare much better. Are there any herbs that grow well indoors? (I have kept a rosemary plant alive but would love some more options).
Thanks!

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 7 years ago

There are a lot of options. I wouldn't try any of them from seed. I buy small plants from a farmer at the Greenmarket who grows organically. If you have a Southern facing window, you should have good luck with marjoram, thyme, chives, parsley, tarragon, oregano and more.

I don't worry with trying to grow basil any more, because it's so easy to find in the markets, especially in the summer. Basil seems to be more "sometimey" than the others.

I agree with ChefJune about basil. I also found that my parsley got really leggy after a month or so--and it's easy to get, too. Having said that, I've done great with sage and of course mint. (In fact, I'm wishing I didn't plant some in the garden last year...)

student epicure

i don't know if this would interest you, but my boyfriend recently was given an aerogarden. i was skeptical, but a month later, we have an incredibly vibrant little herb garden of basil, dill, mint, oregano, and thyme. so far, it's been our most successful attempt at growing herbs inside! also, a friend gave us one of these http://www.amazon.com/Eva-Solo-Self-Watering-Flowerpot-Small/dp/B000LZP0TA and not only is it a beautiful design, but it's been very good at keeping tempermental basil plants alive!

beyondcelery

Sage, mint, oregano, thyme, and rosemary have all worked fairly well for me indoors. It's worth it to buy a full-spectrum light bulb ("grow bulb") for a small desk lamp and keep that on near your herbs during the winter. It helps with the lack of real sunlight. It'll also help you, if you happen to be feeling a bit grey!

BurgeoningBaker

Whats the smallest container per plant you'd recommend?

Mr_Vittles

I have had great luck with chives, basil, and mint. Just make sure to keep them in a well lit area.