Anyone have a recipe for fresh strawberry pie filling that doesn't involve gelatin?

I've made these pies twice before but I can't find my recipe. I like the strawberries to stay as crisp as possible. Bonus points if there's balsamic vinegar involved. (Also: recipe doesn't have to be vegan or anything, I just detest gelatin.)

asked by esti_brennan over 7 years ago

beyondcelery

Have you tried just using corn starch in place of the gelatin? I use cornstarch in my berry pie recipes with great success. I even use it as the binder for my vegan pumpkin pie and no one can tell the difference.

matchaflan

if you can get hold of them, arrow roots powder, tapioca starch, and other binding ingredients are great vegetarian/vegan replacements for gelatin, unless that's not your concern.

matchaflan

oh and agar too

jeinde

The other way to go is a fresh strawberry tart. Pre bake a tart shell and fill with pastry cream then top with artfully arranged fresh strawberries (either whole ones, standing up, or halved ones, cut side down), then glaze with currant jelly.