A question about a recipe: Fresh Sriracha (aka, home made 'Rooster')

I have a question about the recipe "Fresh Sriracha (aka, home made 'Rooster')" from edamame2003.I am not familiar with palm sugar-is this like turbinado?and if I can,t find what is a great substitute?Thanks

edamame2003
edamame2003 May 15, 2011

palm sugar is coconut sugar--may be tough to find. you can order online: http://www.ultimatesuperfoods.com/ItemDetail.aspx?comcode=FD&plinid=PALMSU&item=PASUO16O&type=pl&plnmain=PALM%20SUGAR
you can use regular cane sugar 1:1...

latoscana
latoscana May 15, 2011

I found it at a Thai grocery in a small jar (1 lb or about a pint-sized jar). For this recipe you only need a small amount but it's like regular sugar in that it doesn't go bad. I also found it in a big Asian supermarket but it was in a huge container (probably a half-gallon sized), so I passed on that. Palm sugar has a unique flavor that is less sweet and not cloying compared to regular sugar. BTW, this recipe is sensational!