🔕 🔔

What are fresno chilies? I never heard of them. Are also known by another name?

6c7bca05 a263 4655 9901 89360727fdf2  08310f52 me 0047

I have a question about the ingredient "red fresno chiles, coarsely chopped" on the recipe "Fresh Sriracha (aka, home made 'Rooster')" from edamame2003.

asked by carolynborske almost 6 years ago

The Cook's Thesauras has a good guide to Chiles and substitutions. It says this chile is similar to jalapeno but hotter, and is out in summer and fall. Can you get red jalapenos?
http://www.foodsubs.com...

Thank you Nutcakes. Living in the chicagoland area you'd think there would be no problem finding what ever it is you need. Truth be told you still have to hunt for some items. Red jajapenos are scarce. Luckily Edamame2003 jogged my brain when she said they are also refered to as serrano...they are plentiful. Thank you both for your knowledgable and prompt response.

8c98c3fd a431 4ea2 97e4 20e3da713ce7  eda takoyaki cooking

Hi there--I've seen them labeled as serrano. My go-to substitution are red jalapeños. They're a tiny bit hotter but good.

All hot peppers if left on the vine to ripen will turn red and sometimes they get a name change (for marketing reasons). Chipotle peppers for example are red jalapenos that have been smoked.