🔕 🔔

what's so great about black quinoa? how should i use it?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 6 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

The great thing about quinoa (any color -- black, red, or white) is that it's a complete protein, all by itself (rare for plant-based foods). It also cooks quickly, much like couscous or rice.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

In addition to presentation values there are subtle differences in flavor between different colored quinoas. Not enough to knock you out but they are there. You might consider roasting peppers and filling them with your preferred quinoa---with the added note that cheese belongs nowhere near quinoa.

Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

I am a huge fan of quinoa in grain salads that are packed with power foods like pumpkin seeds, etc. The quinoa holds the other ingredients together well, but is not terribly heavy. Here's a recipe using specifically black quinoa which demonstrates what I'm talking about:
http://www.food52.com/recipes... . Give it a whirl!

4f686b68 91dd 483d bd92 2b7ece722af3  black quinoa salad with grilled vegetables basil feta and pine nuts

Another thing about quinoa, although it's marketed as a grain it's actually a seed.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

@pierino -- what's the problem with quinoa vs cheese?

I tested for EP a red quinoa salad with little bits of feta. http://www.food52.com/recipes...
I like the flavor of red quinoa better than "regular" quinoa. The feta is added while the quinoa is still a bit warm; with the juice from the cut tomatoes and just a tiny bit of olive oil, it makes a tasty dressing. In fact, the dish is addictive. Now I'm curious about black quinoa . . . .

I'm sure it's just my palate but I'm not crazy about cheese and quinoa. I have tasted it recently and the flavor made me think of pairing broccoli with vanilla ice cream. At least the dish I was served wasn't a success. Otherwise I use quinoa all the time.