What are your favorite methods for drying fresh herbs?

• Posted by: Bevi
  • October 2, 2010

Serene
Serene October 2, 2010

I tie them with twine or a bread tie, then hang them from a coat hanger in my kitchen. Kind of like this picture, but on a hanger: http://www.bestdryingrack.com/sitebuilder/images/herb_drying_rack_36-505x405.jpg

pierino October 2, 2010

There are not too many fresh herbs that improve by drying. Oregano is better dried, as well as its cousin marjoram. Tarragon maybe....After those, what??

Savorykitchen
Savorykitchen October 2, 2010

totally easy - roll them in tulle/netting and set aside in a warm place - I use the top of my fridge.

Although I have to admit I don't dry many fresh herbs. I prefer putting them into vinegar (to make great flavored vinegars) or freezing in ice cubes.

mrslarkin October 2, 2010

Not an answer to your question, but an alternative. I freeze fresh herbs like basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, etc. on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, then store each separately in a zipper freezer bag. I strip the larger leaves, like basiI, off before freezing. Retains their aroma/flavor this way.

anyone
anyone October 2, 2010

Since you already have some great advice, If you have an abundance like me this is the time of year I infuse a gallon or two of olive oil for winter use. You find so many ways to use it and if done right can replace the need for herbs. Stuff a pot full of your favorite MIxture ( mine being rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage) add a few or alot of garlic cloves and fill with oil bring it up to temp and let it go for hours. Infusion happens between 180-200F.The result is the most flavorful olive oil that gives great flavor to all meats, good for dipping or adding to bread dough and sauces.

drbabs October 2, 2010

I don't know if this is the ideal method, but I recently needed dried mint for this recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes... and I only had fresh, so I toasted the leaves in the oven on low heat till they dried, and it worked out fine. Otherwise, I freeze herbs like mrslarkin and make herb-infused olive oil also like donnyg.

adamnsvetcooking
adamnsvetcooking October 2, 2010

In our old house we have a solarium, and we used to dry herbs there. Laying them out on a cookie sheet and placing the herbs in an area that gets a lot of sun works very nice. If you roll them in a bundle make sure that the herbs don't get wet, you don't want to get mold to grow

tjioe_chi
tjioe_chi October 2, 2010

I tie them up with twine/floss and hang them from my cabinet knobs. Then bottle in old spice bottles.

Bevi
Bevi October 3, 2010

Thanks for all the great ideas - I am trying all of them.