🔕 🔔

The end of the sprouts on the potatoes I just bought are black. Should I use them?

asked by imc4ua about 7 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I'd just trim them off -- as long as the interior of the potato isn't black, you're ok.

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

what @amanda said. Just peel off the skin too, if it's looking yucko.

8446617e 2a44 48d6 bb85 2f1dc3feb000  n768884774 851343 4507

On a similiar note, let's say the potatoe has green nodes(?) growing on it, as if it was sprouting, after sitting in the closet bin for a week or two...is it time to throw the taters away?

same rule - sorta - cut away anything that's green and sprouty. The rest should be fine. The green parts are full of solanin - which is poisonous in large quantities, but just unpleasant to eat in small amounts.

C7510721 e177 481e 8125 7c4d04f5c4e8  canposter

To add to the already good information: The green on a potato will make that area taste bitter, AND if it's a small potato, the whole potato taste bitter. I work on a small organic farm. The current trend is toward teeny tiny potatoes....When I'm sorting for market, I remove all the greenies as they will make the whole pratie taste bitter.

The "black spot" is most likely caused by a fungus. On a larger tater, cut it off. If it's smaller, toss the whole spud into the compost.