🔕 🔔

Is there anything that will help soften pinto beans while overnights soaking?

They are old beans, been in a plastic jar for over a year. Previous batch did not soften even after overnight soak and slow cooking for over 24 hours.

asked by Martin69 over 6 years ago

Wow, them are some old beans! I've had the same thing happen, only I found out that the beans were not just older than one year, but 20! Have you tried pressure cooking some?

0236a64a 6089 48f7 8ce6 5b790ad33fd9  0605111238

I recently learned that throwing a piece of sea vegetables (kombu or kelp are available in natural foods stores or sections of grocery stores) in the boiling water helps soften the beans up and adds amazing flavor. It's not during the soaking, but it accomplishes what you might be after. I had great success with black beans. See: http://www.ironboundisland...

Efd725c4 24ec 436a 9adb bc31157de14b  mejan08

Thanks!

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

Pre-boil for five minutes before the long soak: boil the the beans in 1.5 times the amount of water for five minutes. Then let them soak for 2 hours or more. Drain and add back twice the amount of fresh water as beans and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cover, cook 1 hour or until tender.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Baking Soda. Just a pinch.

0337e045 7f1c 48a8 8aaa 65ec9ac96b5d  jeani photo 160 size from blog delightfulrepast

Martin, I say TOSS those old beans! If the pressure cooker works, fine. Otherwise, you have to waste too much time as well as gas or electricity.

A bit of baking soda might help, but really, if they wouldn't cook in 24 hours, you should just toss them and buy new beans.

I don't know which did it, the bay leaves or the baking soda, but the beans cooked up nice and soft and delicious. Thanks for all the advice and help. I love this site (stay away from my bud light) hehehe