I am trying to recreate a very simple Spanish tapa but it is so simple I can't find a recipe for it. The tapa is a fresh tomato and garlic spread. The ingredients are only (I think) tomato, garlic and olive oil? Nothing in it is cooked. It is not pa amb tomaquet/pan con tomate. The tomato is served in a bowl to be spread onto bread. I have had it many times and its so simple and delicious. Thank You!

• Posted by: KLL5
  • October 3, 2010

anyone
anyone October 3, 2010

I don't have a recipe but at my favorite tapa's bar serves what sounds like the same thing and I would describe it as bruschetta with cilantro and lime. Or Picodllo with out the onion and a little olive oil. Very simple and tasty, I could eat it all day. Play with it a little I'm sure you can recreate. I would ty these ingredients. Chopped tomato, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.

pierino October 3, 2010

Like Italy, the cuisine of Spain is of its regions. I can't guess the specific tapa (or pintxo), but I'm also thinking (as it's a "spread") that possibly it has chopped anchovies in it---either white or cured. Anchovy is one of those flavors that runs silent and runs deep. Even complete anchovie haters can't identify it.

KLL5
KLL5 October 3, 2010

Thanks for the replies! There is no lime or herbs in the version I am thinking of- but Donny your versions sound delish. I made it and the fresh garlic was too strong. (I ate it all anyway.)

drbabs October 3, 2010

Try roasting the garlic next time--you'll get a sweet nutty garlic flavor without the harshness.

Jon Palmer
Jon Palmer October 4, 2010

I'd use the garlic sparingly unless you plan to roast it first. An anchovy filet would be a good way to build up some flavor. I'd also drop a pinch of red pepper flakes into the mix. A little warmth can have a considerable effect.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen October 4, 2010

Have you checked out Jose Andres' recipes? This might be like his pan con tomate "the modern way". This is the best link I could find (and has ham on top which could be omitted), but it's in one of his cookbooks - A Taste of Spain. http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/10072615