🔕 🔔

Carton of Forgotten Cream

I had an unopened carton of heavy cream that is 3 weeks past the sell date. Out of curiosity I opened it and surprisingly there is no sour odor. There is an inch of very thick cream on the top. Did I make cream cheese? Can I do anything with this experiment besides toss it? Thanks picklers!

asked by Sadassa_Ulna over 6 years ago

Shake it up to bring it back together, then make ice cream. Don't toss it!

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Do what boulangere says and pour it over rasberries or blueberries or strawberries!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Sounds more like clotted cream than cream cheese (?) If so, spread it on scones or biscuits with jam - with a cup of tea, of course.

Re: the Herzog ref - whatever you do, just make sure it tastes good in 3-D ;)

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I don't know what it is, but it is delicious with salt on whole wheat toast! I shook the carton but the thick stuff would not remix back in, so I poured the whole carton through a sieve and the mashed the collected thick stuff in a bowl with some salt. It is not cream cheese, probably more like clotted cream (although I think clotted cream is made by heating). Very buttery and delicious, not sour at all. Hope to see the Cave of Forgotten Dreams tonight; a coincidence . . . or is it?

I've often left cream for a while. Weeks, even longer...

On occasion I end up with a wonderful creme fraiche!

496e3e21 39ca 4097 9452 893af2b65dbb  port2

Definitely don't throw away! The delicious thick stuff on top and blend into some scrambled eggs you will make very slowly and gently! Or serve on scones like clotted cream.

0236a64a 6089 48f7 8ce6 5b790ad33fd9  0605111238

you are (or were) partway to butter, I think! I think your salting and spreading highlights that--what about some citrus zest or herbs in there?