Pink tinge to canned great northern beans. Safe?

B66029bb b017 411a 9b46 7ba50827a342  photo 10

I just opened a can of great northern beans (purchased yesterday) and noticed that most of the beans are slightly pink - not entirely pink, but just part of each bean has a pink cast to it. They smell fine and otherwise look normal. Has anyone seen this before? Are they safe to eat? It's my only can and I've already started the recipe with which I will be using them. Of course, I'd rather modify the recipe than kill myself.

I attempted a photo, but I'm not sure you can quite see the color. It's fairly subtle.

Thanks!!!

asked by crumbs over 7 years ago

Yes, I've seen this often. As long as the can wasn't swollen, you'll live to tell us what you made.

crumbs

Thanks!!! It's an eggplant casserole/lasana thingy. I puree the beans for the creamy element, instead of using ricotta.

crumbs

ooops *lasagna

Oooooh! That sounds wonderful. Please think about posting it. Do you use mozarella? If not, I'm guessing it's vegan, and several food52ers would be interested in it. Even with, we'd love to see it.

crumbs

I'm winging it at the moment, but if it turns out well, I'd be happy to post! It's based on this recipe http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/05/italian-layered-vegetable-casserole.html, which I tried while doing a vegan/low carb cleanse. I really liked the flavors but it lacked structure, so I'm adding some pasta and a little cheese this time. Only because I love cheese:) - it could stand on its own without.

I think it sounds great with both the pasta and the cheese. I think you've got something here.

Sometimes canned food labels have a customer service phone number. If so, assuming you lived to tell the tale (and I'm sure you did), would you call and let us know what they say? It would be nice to know what's going on.
Thanks for the link. She has an excellent blog, and your comments are helpful.

mcd2

my motto, when in doubt throw it out! i'm suspicious of those beans as there are many pink molds. the recipe sounds great but i wouldn't chance it with THAT can of beans. don't know how long they were on a shelf or in a warehouse before you got them. or a manufacturing pinhole that didn't affect any other can of beans.

mcd2

oh, and the smell test is not a good test always of food born pathogen. or sight or swelling of can. that is, any of those could be present or not but trust your gut reaction. "I've not seen this before, maybe I'll throw this away & try another can..."

crumbs

Thanks everyone for the advice. I used the beans and am alive and well! Posting the recipe in just a moment.

Morgana Lee

Bless your heart! I just opened a can and saw a pink tinge subtly on each bean and googled my way here. I'm going to double-check some more, but was happy to come across this. My can did not smell or look funny or spew anything out. I'll still think it over just in case!

Esvee

I use canned cannelini and Great Northern beans often and they frequently have a pink tinge.

Esvee

Want to add: I think this is just part of the bean - the little tip of it, maybe the germ?