What is the proper way to cook chick peas?

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I love to soak them overnight and cover them with plenty of water. 3 inches or more. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes then cover and reduce to a simmer for 1 to 2 hours until desired tenderness is reached. I leave them a bit firmer for toasted chickpea dishes and softer for cold dishes and hummus.

Panfusine
Panfusine May 23, 2011

I'd go with Chef Michael Kiss's method, Alternatively If you own a pressure cooker, use it to reduce the cooking time significantly.

Helen's All Night Diner

I'm with Panfusine - pressure cooker! Follow Lorna Sass' directions.

fo
fo May 23, 2011

If you soak them overnight, you will reduce their cooking time GREATLY the next day. Cover with water, simmer, add a little olive oil and whole garlic cloves, a fresh leaf of bay, and then you have a seasoned and flavored bean to do anything with later - hummus, stew, soup. Just be sure to never salt your beans until they are about 30 minutes from being done. Salt toughens the skins.

susan g May 23, 2011

The when to salt and why or why not question has surfaced before on foodpickle. Through the "search questions" box you can get a lot more input on cooking dried beans.