🔕 🔔

Experienced canners - help! I'm literally in a pickle today. Making a recipe for pickled vegetables which calls for __ lb. of this and __ lb. of that, but I get nowhere near the volume I should once I cut them as indicated by the recipe. These are going into a fairly acidic brine, and will be hot-water processed. What's more important in this case so I have something safe to eat, weight or volume? Thanks!

asked by lastnightsdinner almost 7 years ago

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

I think as long as they're covered by the brine sufficiently, the amount of your original item is less important.

Is this the onions? I think as long as your brine is safely acidic/salty, just make more or less of it to cover them completely.

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

The onions are part of it - also carrots, celery, bell peppers + cauliflower. Giardiniera! Heard back from my friend who is responsible for the recipe, and she says the brine is pretty much pure vinegar, so it should be safe. Thanks for your help!

C7510721 e177 481e 8125 7c4d04f5c4e8  canposter

Your friend is right. It's OK to have leftover brine. Just find something else to pickle!

Thanks, Christina! I ended up going with the full volume of cut veggies instead. We're gonna have a whole lot of giardiniera to get us through the winter :)

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I agree with above- as long as the veggies are covered by the brine and processed properly, it should be OK.

Great, thanks Hilarybee!