Freezing before pickling?

So, I have a ton of okra from my garden which I fully intend to pickle (one of my favorite things!) but presently I don't have any pickling time. Can I freeze the okra for a few weeks first? Will this change the texture of the vegetable?

asked by Summer of Eggplant about 2 years ago

MMH
MMH

When you freeze any fresh vegetable, the cells will burst and the texture will not be the same as fresh. I was in a real hurry to pickle some veggies and used a refrigerator pickle recipe which was fast, easy and tasty.

Valhalla

By the time you have washed, blanched, and frozen the okra you could probably have thrown a brine together. Start your boiling water first and you can probably even fit in canning.

Summer of Eggplant

Valid.

I was about to suggest something similar -- if you don't have time for the canning part, make the pickles before freezing.

Susan

Ferment your okra - that will buy you 3-4 weeks before needing to can. Linda Zeidrich's Joy of Pickling is packed with good recipes.