A question about a recipe: World's Easiest Falafel and Tzatziki

823c5ac6 846d 4e7c a039 62ecca3bfe83  2017 0425 world s easiest falafel bobbi lin 23796

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "World's Easiest Falafel and Tzatziki" from marisab67. It says:

"Drain chickpeas and let air dry for 2 hours or more." you don't cook them?

asked by swscovell over 7 years ago

Not until they're formed into falafel patties and hit the frying pan! This step just rehydrates them.

No, you don't. At this stage they're crisp but no longer hard, and will taste a little like a raw green bean. I know it sounds strange, but it works well!

Also you can check out the slideshow on the recipe page and see what the beans look like after air drying.

marisab67

I think I can't believe Amanda Hesser is talking about the first recipe I have ever submitted anywhere. I don't know why I've been so timid, but I'm glad I decided to make the jump with a food that I love so much.

swscovell

Ha-Aren't you glad I asked this question! My other attempts at falafel have failed and fallen apart in the pan with cooked chickpeas. I'm eager to try this method.