I need a good substitute for kamut

susan g May 27, 2011

For whole kamut, wheat, rye, spelt berries.
For kamut flour, flour from the same.
It would help to know more about what you intend to do with it and why you want a substitute. If you need to avoid gluten, none of the grains I mention are suitable.

boulangere May 27, 2011

Agree. Some more info would help. Kamut (farro) is very high in protein. What are your plans?

susan g May 28, 2011

Confusion surrounds the distinction between farro, spelt, emmer, einkorn. Checking some of the information websites, the names are used for different kinds of wheat, but which name for which kind differs by local usage. Kamut is a different grain, referring only to one strain of wheat -- because the name is a registered trade mark for a strain of wheat found growing in Egypt. An American airman brought it back to Montana, and it took until 1986 for it to have some kind of commercial visibility.
So -- all these names describe different varieties of wheat, having ancient legacies, and differing from our dearly loved bread wheat.