Where did this crock pot come from?

I came home from a week away and my boyfriend had bought a crock pot at a yard sale. I am looking for crock pot rules. Does anyone have any guidelines that they follow when crock potting?

asked by KaleHog about 7 years ago

IlovePhilly

Just don't fill it more than 70% full, and make sure everything is pretty close to room temp when you get started and you'll be loving life! Especially come winter!

It probably could have been worse . . .

Throw away the recipe book that came with it...

KaleHog

It came from a yard sale, so no recipe book.

babytiger

This may help: http://crockpot365.blogspot...

Shaggy77

There are no rules with a crockpot. You have the options of appetizers, entrees, stews, or even making cocktails in it.

Helen's All Night Diner

Love mine! I actually have 2 a medium & large size. Use them all the time for soups, stews, beans, etc. Actually made spiral hams in them for company holiday party, yum! You can do just about any braise or stew in them. Enjoy!

plevee

Your local library will have cookbooks you can use for general ideas, then adapt your own recipes.

MrsKeller

Use a liner for easy clean up.

KaleHog

Thank you, thank you! Babytiger, I found a chicken curry recipe on Crockpot365 that I am going to try tonight. Made a barley, kale and leek soup last night. Thanks again!

CazHill

Crock-pot yogurt has become a staple in my home. They are also great for any soup or stew. My favorite is making dinner before leaving the house for work, throw it all in the crock-pot, and coming home to a house that smells wonderful, and a delicious hot meal just waiting to be served. Have fun! The sky is the limit.

ChefDaddy

I like my crockpot. I use it during the fall and winter months. My biggest crock pot pet peeve is when people do braised meat but don't brown the meat first. Yuck! grey cubes of beef in a grey sauce doesn't really fit my definition of "good". Good luck!

I'm with ChefDaddy. Crockpots tend to imply abuses that yield good results. Not so. Use good preparation methods, and they're really good.