I'm looking for a place to get cheap glass jars or canning jars in NYC. I feel like every place I find is way too much.

Sunchowder
Sunchowder October 5, 2010

You can see if your local market will order them in for you by cases of 12. If you want to you can also order them in from www.fillmorecontainer.com They have great prices and service, but you will have to pay for shipping. They are located in PA. They have both 8 oz and 4 oz jars that fit the standard Ball Canning Lids.

mklug
mklug October 5, 2010

Do you have a hardware store nearby? I get mine at an Ace hardware-type place and they're always super-cheap. But I don't know if you have access to one (or have already tried).

TiggyBee
TiggyBee October 5, 2010

Have you tried Fishs Eddy? What's the price point you're looking for?

dahliat
dahliat October 5, 2010

Second the hardware store - I've gotten them at mine in Brooklyn - and also Target sometimes has them, but might want to call ahead - they are usually in the seasonal section.

AntoniaJames October 5, 2010

Ace Hardware has the best prices around here too, by far, for all canning jars, lids, and equipment. ;o)

pierino October 5, 2010

I agree with TiggyBee on Fishs Eddy (two locations, uptown and downtown). But basic Ball jars are pretty easy to find. You might try Fairway too. And I forget the name of the kitchen supply store that's way up town, but somebody else will, I'm sure come up with it.

susan g October 10, 2010

Late to the conversation --- if you can find used jars (no nicked glass rims), they can be reused indefinitely. All you need is new lids, maybe new metal rims, which should be readily available (at the hardware store, no doubt). If you have access to freecycle.com, put out a request.