🔕 🔔

Can i substitute kite string in place of kitchen twine?

asked by XXX-XXX-0732 over 6 years ago

Hmmm . . doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Kite string could have polymer components or coatings that you probably don't want in contact with food that's being cooked.

Butcher's twine, which appears to be made from cotton, would seem to be a better way to go.

There may even be an organic butcher's twine movement afoot somewhere.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

YOIKES!! Doesn't kite string come coated with powdered glass? (the glass comes in handy to 'cut' opponents kites in competitions..)

I don't think that's a very good idea. But I've often subbed linen fishing twine.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I do believe that there is kite string that is all cotton and essentially the same thing as kitchen twine, at least that used to be the case when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s. You might be able to tell from the label, which should say that it's 100% cotton. I sure wouldn't go for that powdered glass stuff that Panfusine mentions!! And you'll want to watch out for synthetics that could melt or vaporize some chemical contaminants.