Agave Syrup Substitute?

I have a recipe I'm making while on vacation. But, it calls for 1/4 cup of agave syrup and I am not going to pack a bottle of that in my checked luggage for fear of ruining everything else in the bag. Any suggestions on readily availalble substitutes, such as plain white sugar, and the quantities equivalent to 1/4 cup for each?

asked by Tony S over 7 years ago

I'd suggest honey, and probably use half as much because its sweetness is so concentrated. Bon voyage!

Agave is sweeter than white sugar, but you can certainly substitute white sugar. For a quarter cup I'd probably start with 1/3 cup sugar and a couple tablespoons of water. Or maybe make a double strength simple syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part water) and just do a direct substitute.

beyondcelery

Maple syrup is my favorite substitute for agave. The real stuff is best, of course. It's also less sweet than agave, but I find that I usually don't need to increase the amount because it gives enough sweetness for my tastes. It isn't something you'd want to pack, but most stores have it, depending on where you're going!

healthierkitchen

I am usually converting in the other direction, from sugar to agave, and for that my understanding is that you use 1/4 less agave than sugar. So, to go from agave to sugar, I'd say that hardlikearmour is on the money.