A question about Zucchini and Summer Squash with Chili, Mint and Toasted Almonds. Should the squash be salted before making this? Thanks! ;

I've made this twice now, and thought it was terrific, both times. I'm thrilled to see this morning another excellent squash recipe -- Amanda's Summer Squash Gratin -- which has me wondering if the technique of salting the squash should be used in this recipe. Excess water is not an issue, obviously, in a dish cooked on top of the stove as this one is. But I'm wondering if the flavor or texture would be improved. What do you think?? Many thanks. ;o)

Merrill Stubbs June 10, 2011

I'd give it a whirl -- I could see it flavoring the squash nicely. If you do, please report back!

AntoniaJames June 10, 2011

Thanks, Merrill, I will! Sometimes squash, even that which is freshly picked, can have a slightly bitter edge. It seems that this might do the trick. I'm thrilled to have a new, interesting summer squash recipe. This was just perfect with your Saag Paneer, which I've made every few weeks since you posted the recipe. ;o).