Ways to cook zucchini and squash inside?

I love squash and zucchini, and was given about four of each (smallish sized). I usually grill them outdoors in the summer, but it's snowing. How can I cook them inside?

asked by ElkieOiishi almost 7 years ago

nasilemak

Thinly slice, then lightly salt them. Leave them be for 20 minutes and then remove the excess liquid. Saute some minced garlic in canola or peanut oil and then add the veggies. Saute them for about 3 to 4 minutes under a medium flame and then serve.

rachelib

slice into rounds (1/4"), dip in egg whites, and then seasoned panko. Bake, flipping once, until crispy - no soggy squash here.

nasilemak

Cut into batons. Saute them with minced garlic, chili flakes, olive oil, anchovies (let the anchovies dissolve into the oil) and capers.

ElkieOiishi

That definitely sounds interesting. I've never eaten anchovies before but I'll have to give this a spin. Thanks!

lapadia

Hi, well I think there was a zucchini/squash contest sometime back, you will find a lot of ideas by searching for that. Also, here are a couple ways I like to use them up:

lapadia

oops...the linked the meatballs, meant to link this: (although a little in the meatballs would probably work :)

After you saute as suggested above, add dill and sour cream. At my house, that's the difference between ignore and devour.

lapadia

Yum, agree, susan g!! :)

babytiger

Start with a little bacon, then add some garlic, then zucchini and squash round. Cook until desired texture. Serve as a side dish or toss with pasta.

Also, I like roasting them. Just toss rounds/dices with olive oil, salt and pepper (can add other seasonings that you like) and bake. Serve them as a side dish or toss with couscous.

Few other ideas: zucchini latkes/fritters, bread, quiche

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Dice, sauté in olive oil with S & P and a pinch of red pepper flakes until good and caramelized. Serve as bruschetta atop a shmear of ricotta and drizzled atop with olive oil.

nutcakes

Make a gratin. Make a layer of sauteed onions (carmelized is even better) and a can of drained diced tomatoes in a shallow dish. Shingle overlapping 3/8 inch slices of zucchini in rows, using salt, pepper and parmesan cheese to season each row. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Roast at 375 for 45-60 minutes, until zucchini is tender and lightly browned. Serve warm or at room temp. In summer, overlap the zucchini with fresh tomato slices and place on the bed of plain onions. Fresh herbs work here too. Delicious.