🔕 🔔

Proposal for future contest

Your best nut-free recipe. I apologize if this has already been done. Many of the gluten-free contest entries are nut-based. What about those of us who are allergic to nuts?

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

the nut free would have to be defined in a category say desserts or pies or cakes I assume.. if so that wd be fantastic..

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

That's a great idea! Maybe best nut-free dessert? And Boulangere--check out the recipes I've tossed into the gluten-free contest this week. I try very hard not to base my gluten-free recipes on nuts because I know so many people for whom that's a problem.

Thanks, Syronai; I'll gladly take a look. It just can't be that hard to eliminate both gluten (which is neither a problem nor a requirement for me in a dessert) and nuts.

I've found it to be quite simple to avoid both gluten and nuts in a lot of gluten-free recipes; however, that wasn't always the case. When I first started my gluten-free experiments 10 years ago (out of sheer desperation), I used a lot of nuts because it was easy and there were more recipes doing that. Now, with the wide variety of flours out there, I really don't think nuts are a requirement in most gluten-free recipes.

Oh yes, I agree. The range of *flours* available now is so much greater. I'm not gluten-intolerant, but I teach classes to many who are, and it's greatly expanded my horizons that they have become a much more vocal food force. The flavor profiles have been so interesting to explore. I love finding new ways to make people happy via food that suits them in extremely flavorful (not punitive) ways. Many of the gluten-alternative grains are so wonderfully high in protein (and low in carbs) that adding nuts is almost beside the point, do you think?

Absolutely, boulangere! Amaranth is my new favorite--high in protein and not quite as flavorful as quinoa so it bakes up really well with added healthiness to the product. Nuts in gluten-free baking are great, but so limiting. They also make baked goods very heavy, where a lot of gluten-free flours bake up wonderfully light. I'm right there with you in finding new ways to make people happy with food that aren't punitive. I remember the dark days of extremely limited (and disgusting) gluten-free products. At least more people are aware of gluten and nut allergies now. (In a few years, when I open my gluten-free cafe, I'm seriously toying with the idea of having a nut-free kitchen as well.)

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Allergies to nuts are so common and I think thats another great idea. So Boulangere you can't eat chocolate or nuts?

Nope. Neither.