A question about a recipe: Absurdly Addictive Asparagus

E53e7186 df51 47c0 bcbd c99159ac4a24  2013 1107 absurdly addictive asparagus 021

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Absurdly Addictive Asparagus" from kaykay. It says:

"In a large non-stick pan, sauté pancetta, stirring frequently, over medium heat, until crisp and lightly golden. "

My husband and I don't eat pork. What would you suggest for a reasonable substitute?

asked by mrs.diggs about 7 years ago

You could skip it. You could flake some smoked salmon in at the end. You could finely dice some deli smoked turkey, and just give it a brief saute with a bit of oil.

friendlyoaks

I don't eat pork either. When the primary bacon contribution seems to be a certain flavor, I just add a bit of liquid smoke. Another way to get that deep flavor is to dissolve anchovies in the cooking oil.
For recipes (like the addictive asparagus) where texture is important, I use crisped-up smoked fish or smoked turkey or crisped, diced pastrami. To keep a dish totally vegetarian, I will use frizzled leeks for the crispy effect. In any event, I have never considered substituting turkey bacon or beef bacon - I'm not sure exactly why.

Danielle

Smoked salt!

I also don't eat pork.
Crisply fried chicken skin can be tasty. You can also fry smoked salmon. It's delicious.

< I have never considered substituting turkey bacon> possibly because turkey bacon is an oxymoron. Turkey does not have enough natural fat to make anything that resembles bacon!