🔕 🔔

About to make the Editor's Pick Sesame Noodles that was recently published. What is a good brand of chili paste? How readily available is it? Where can I get it?

asked by eat right almost 7 years ago

Oooops ... CHILE paste (not chili paste).

Here's our technique for sourcing something like that. (My son actually did this when I sent him off, while we were traveling and near a city we'd never been to, to get some red curry paste so that I could test a recipe for an Editors' Pick review . . . . ) Go to an Asian grocery store which carries a number of different brands, most if not all from Thailand. Then, ask the owner of the store, or the manager, and anyone else who's around, which brand they like the best. And the follow up question is whether they actually use it. The red curry paste my son brought back, on the recommendation of the gentleman in the store, was excellent! Of course, this method works only if you have a good Asian grocery nearby. I use this method when purchasing all kinds of things (mostly condiments) in Chinatown. I had my son pick up two cans of the paste, and we still have one. I'll post the name of it tonight. ;o)

0fecd8f8 6ef1 4649 9f57 83bf4668f3d0  3572
Erin McDowell

Erin is a baking aficionado, writer, stylist, and Test Kitchen Manager at Food52. She is currently writing a cookbook.

I agree with Antonia, but I will say one of my favorite brands of chile paste is Sambal Oelek, and it's commonly available in most grocery stores. Look in the Asian aisle - it's has a green cap and is by the same company that makes the Sriracha with the green top!

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

Just adding to apartment cookers advice that companies name Huy Fong Foods, Inc. Good stuff. Yes, look for the green cap.

9920059c c14d 4755 965d d880979c2f61  monkeys

Yank Sing is our favorite. Delightfully Hot! We find it at asian grocery stores here but you can also order them.
http://www.yanksing.com...