🔕 🔔

I bought fresh rice noodles (labeled "pad thai") in Chinatown.Do they need any pre-cooking before I pan fry them in pad thai? Thanks! ;o)

"I bought fresh rice noodles . . . " What a nostalgic glow to an expat.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Soften them with some boiling water from the kettle for about 3 mins. You don't want them really soft or they can get gummy. Then drain them and dry a bit.

I'm curious about the word 'fresh' as I've only seen them dried as a pantry item, are they moist?

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I have a recipe for pad se ewe )spelling?? anyway they said for fresh noodles you don't need to soak them just stir fry them/

Ahh...Now, I'm going to have look a bit deeper at the thai market for 'fresh' rice noodles.
Here's a link I came up with using fresh noodles.
http://thaifood.about.com...

It says to soften them in the microwave a bit. Then unfold and cut.

So this got me hungry, ordering pad thai takeout.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

fresh rice noodles are usually already cooked (the process involves cooking rice flour Water & salt into a thick ball of dough. the dough is shaped into fist sized balls which are then steamed before being pressed thru a mold.
for these, it'd just keep them moist over a low steam. place them on a piece of cheesecloth tied over a perforated plate & place the plate over a pan with simmering water .

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Have never seen fresh pad thai noodles - how exciting!

Thanks, everyone. I put the noodles in a bowl of cold water and let them sit for a few minutes, then pulled the strands apart (and yes, a few broke) and drained them. They had been lightly coated with a neutral oil before they were packed for selling, so there was no risk of them hardening up and sticking together again while I was cooking the veggies (tiny julienne of carrot, bean sprouts, scallions and garlic), egg and marinated pork bits in the wok. Then I stir fried the noodles in with all of the aforementioned, and the sauce (used mtlabor's Shrimp Pad Thai recipe as a guide). Stir fried baby bok choy with a bit of garlic then splashed on just a hint of soy, and served on the side. Really tasty!! ;o)