🔕 🔔

Kohlrabi. I think I want to roast it. Do I roast it just as is, in a hot oven, then peel it once it's roasted? How long will a medium one -- about the size of a baseball -- take to roast? And then, how should I serve it? The main course will be a chicken dish that bears some resemblance to coq au vin. if you think I should do something other than roast it, I'd be interested in that, too. Thanks, everyone!!!

asked about 7 years ago

Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

I love it roasted with garlic and olive oil. I always cube it before roasting so that the pieces get a nice caramelization to them. Roast it for about 30-35 minutes. Sounds delicious whatever you're making!! : )

Thank you, TiggyBee? How large would you make the cubes? I've roasted slices before, but they never caramelized. My kohlrabi is so juicy that it seems always to steam, instead of roast! I like the olive oil and garlic idea. I could throw some Brusslies (what my mother called Brussels Sprouts when we were kids) on, too, and Mr. T would be very, very happy. So would I !! ;o)

I think the trick is oven temp. 450 is what I use. I peel the outer skin, then slice it lengthwise and dice it from there and I end up with about 1/2 inch cubes. Then I put them in a bowl, drizzle the olive oil and minced garlic and a bit of salt and toss till coated. After they've been in the oven for a good 15-20 minutes or so, I turn them and when they're done, they're a nice brown color!! : ) Love the idea of adding brusslies, ; ) - I think they'll taste great together!!

C7510721 e177 481e 8125 7c4d04f5c4e8  canposter

We get our kohlrabi in midsummer. I peel it, then roast it with the chicken. I cut them in halves or quarters. They go in the roaster with potatoes, onions, carrots and whatever else is in the garden.

I also peel them and cut them into matchsticks to use in coleslaw.

9acfdd05 7247 4ff2 9a6c 9141e73a07c8  52 photo

No matter what always peel it, and it can be roasted with a variety of vegetables or alone as stated above. I also add it to soups and stews as you would potatoes, and grated it on the large holes of a box grater to make a kohlrabi slaw. Here on Food52 I have a Kohlrabi-Bacon Pie too!

B794a024 4519 42c1 8f7d 4849e58831c3  img 9850

9920059c c14d 4755 965d d880979c2f61  monkeys

Hi AJ. I have roasted it wrapped in foil with some olive oil as in eatenfresh's recipe:

Really fresh kohlrabi is key. I tried it with older kohlrabi and it didn't taste very good at all. Kohlrabi and bacon sound really great lapadia!

So true monkeymom; the key is "fresh". Love the recipe link you posted! Yes, the combo kohlrabi/bacon is a nice one...oh brother, I didn't know the picture was going to be that big, don't think I will do that anymore!

Hey, just wanted to thank everyone who responded. I peeled and cubed (well, they weren't, strictly speaking all exactly cubes), tossed with a touch of garlic and salt, and roasted for about 40 minutes. It caramelized beautifully. I can get very fresh kohlrabi in my local Chinatown, so ours last night was quite juicy, and ever so flavorful, even after that sustained blast of high heat in my oven. I'm going to try it with my next roast chicken, as Christina Ward has suggested, and also will definitely be test driving the kohlrabi + bacon combo. Thanks again!! ;o)