cedar plank on the grill, soak or no?

438979bd 037d 426d a8e5 729d10194692  hydro lunch

We're having a cookout at work tomorrow. Some of my coworkers went fishing today & are bringing in lots of stripped bass, yum! I have some cedar planks that I thought I'd try out. Should I soak them ahead of time?
BTW, I'm making a charmoula to go with the fish, love preserved lemons...

asked by Helen's All Night Diner over 7 years ago

Yes soak!

Oh, how lucky are you! Yes, always soak before grilling. Otherwise the planks tend to turn into above-the-fire, uh, fire.

wssmom

30 minutes, cold water. Enjoy1

Absolutely soak - try soaking in wine!

Helen's All Night Diner

Thanks everyone! Even though the planks were soaked for over an hour, they still caught on fire, the grill was probably too hot... Tasty anyways! We only did a couple of pieces on the planks. The bulk of the fish we cooked as follows: Fish was filleted but not scaled, cut into large portion sized pieces. Brined in salted water for an hour or so. Towel dried then rubbed with olive oil. Set grill to medium high. Place fillets skin side down onto the grill, close the grill and leave for 20 to 25 minutes or until done. When you remove the fish to a platter, slide it off the skin & scales. The scales protect the fish. Don't bother to flip. It was fantastic!