IT'S TOMATO WEEK ON FOOD52! CELEBRATE ACCORDINGLY »
🔕 🔔

How can you prevent home made iced tea from clouding up?

asked by uws80 about 5 years ago

Thanks, let me know what success you've had. I don't add ice and let my tea cool before refridgerating, to no avail; I'll try fussing with the water. have been using Lyons and PG Tips.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

The boiling water should help.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I seem to be mentioning baking soda a lot recently.
But quite a few southern tea-recipes call for a pinch (1/8tsp) of baking soda.

It does a couple of things...it softens out the tannins, and it binds up minerals in the water if you have have hard water which make the tea cloudy.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thank you for that idea! I use a Mr. Coffee iced tea maker, which essentially makes hot tea and drips it over a pitcher of ice, so the other suggestions here wouldn't work for me.

I tried putting pitcher w/tea bags and tap water in the sun a couple hours then into fridg and it works. No more cloudy tea!! Why? I don't know! But I'm glad. I tried adding boiling water trick and it works too. So, in winter I'll use boiling water trick.

I make cold brew tea for sweet tea in the summer. I put the loose Assam tea and water into a big glass jar and let it sit on the counter overnight. I strain it into a pitcher the next morning. It's not cloudy at all. It's worth a try.

This was an interesting conversation on The Splendid Table on the subject of "sun tea" and why it is not a good idea. Think bacteria. http://www.splendidtable...

F16adcb5 e667 4c56 8d37 2984714c46e9  open uri20131025 3491 1e6gbf8

I brew tea in a carafe or pitcher w/lid in the fridge. No boiling required, and no risk of being held at a temperature that would allow pathogens to propagate. All you have to do is put your loose tea (in an infuser) or tea bags in the carafe (approximately 4 bags for typical , pour in your cold filtered water until its almost full but leaving a bit of space for sweetener/lemon juice if desired, cover and let it steep on its own for 6-12 hours. It brews itself, and no ice to dilute your tea. You can even reuse the loose tea/bags again to make another pitcher, but it will take a little longer the second time around.

Also, to keep this relevant to the OP's question, I read that the main reason brewed tea clouds up is because the rapid drop in temperature causes the dissolved tannins to come out of solution very quickly and form a cloudy precipitate. Some people who use hot water let the tea cool to room temperature, and then place in a not so cold part of the fridge so it can chill at a slower pace. Refrigerator tea, however, avoids this problem altogether. Fewer tannins release from the tea leaves in cold brewing, so not only will it not become cloudy, but it will also have a less astringent flavor (this also depends on the variety of tea you use, because some types of tea will have more tannins than others, and I am not aware of a list that measures various brands/varieties of tea for this. Just know that most every day black English breakfast teas (PG Tips, Twinings, etc.) do a fine job.

Ok. I'm calling BS on all the advise I've read to keep brewed black tea from clouding and I might add...extremely weak tasting. I am super frustrated. Ive Tried tap & filtered. All kinds of brands. ALWAYS let it cool down on its own. Tried the baking soda. Always cloudy. McDonalds & BK always put their tanks out almost hot and when I put ice on it, it still doesnt cloud. So the whole thing of chilling it too fast is false according to those examples. Sorry for attitude, I'm frustrated. Ok. I boil about 4 cups of water with sugar. Turn off heat, put gallon size bag or 4 qt bags, let steep for about 5 min. By this time its already cloudy...always. Pull bags out and let cool to room temp, pour in pitcher and fill up rest of way with room temp water. Boomyow. Cloudy & very weak

I work as a Dining Room Coordinator, I make 1 1/2 + gallons of iced tea a week, I brew it through a drip system Bunn machine & cool it in the walk in frig. I add lots of ice to delete it, today is the first day it came out cloudy, only because I cooled it down too fast with lots of ice, now will my customers notice, probably not, as long as it tastes good & not bitter, (boiling tea makes it bitter), I will go back to my usual way of cooling it down, by just placing the container in the walk-in:-)

Im back. like I said I've used tap water spring water bottled water But I just went and bought some double osmosis filtered water. and I've made two gallons so far with two different brands and I've gotten beautiful clear tea with that gorgeous reddish tint. I have got to say that it's entirely the water. Even if you use bottled water it may be sourced in the same region as your tap water and this would have many of the same minerals. I just have to believe that hard water or minerals absolutely affects the Tea. I even stirred and squeeze the bag out which your not supposed to do and even cooled it down very quickly and it never got cloudy or bitter. It even tasted much much better. so yes different levels or types of minerals effects it differently depending on what Community or region you are in.

Hi Jonathan,
May I ask where did you get double reverse osmosis filtered water? I bought distilled water from a local supermarket and measured the water hardness. It was 2 ppm. And the tea is still cloudy like mud. I always brew my tea super strong, almost double 4 teaspoons per 8 oz water with loose tea leaves.